Are you looking for easy ways to keep to a healthy weight? Do you want to lose weight but don’t want to go on a starvation diet? It is important to manage your weight for health benefits as well as looking good and feeling energetic. But all too often healthy habits are exchanged for less-than-healthy choices. Here’s how to kick-start your weight management regime and make a difference to your health.
Healthy Eating Tips
1. Choose the right foods. A healthy diet doesn’t mean going on a starvation diet. It is more effective in the long run to consistently choose healthy foods rather than restrict your food intake or try to cut major food groups out of your diet. Aim for a mixture of lean protein – fish, chicken, turkey etc. – wholegrains, vegetables, and fruit.
2. Avoid sugary drinks and empty calories. Soda and carbonated beverages pack on the calories without you realizing it. Drinking super-sized sodas every day will not help your weight goals, so make better choices. Make sure you drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and enjoy some fruit juice every now and again.
3. Eat more fiber. Most people in the US are lacking in daily fiber. But fiber is essential for maintaining a healthy weight because it fills you up and is low in calories. You can find fiber in products like brown rice, pasta, cereals, wholewheat bread, oats, vegetables, and beans.
4. Include five servings of fruit and vegetables in your diet every day. Try to eat whole fruits but eat a variety – exotic fruits like kiwis and mangos are just as good as apples and bananas, and eating these fruits will stop you getting bored.
5. Build physical activity into your everyday life so it doesn’t feel like you are “exercising”. For example, leave the car at home whenever you can or park further from your destination than you need to, go for a daily walk, or take the stairs when you can.
6. Have a medical check-up if you feel that pain is preventing you from living an active life. With treatment you can feel better and grow stronger and more flexible.
7. Aim to exercise 30 minutes a day, most days of the week. Choose an activity that you enjoy and vary your routine so you don’t get bored. Interesting activities include swimming, tennis, soccer, hiking, biking, skating, and running.